The Church is committed to safeguarding and has adopted the Diocese of York guidelines as our policy.
When recruiting new volunteers or employees we will:
- Consult the Parish Safeguarding Officer first.
- Produce a job description which will include whether a post needs DBS clearance.
- Require an application form with basic details and the details of referees.
- Have an interview or discussion with defined questions
If appropriate we will:
- Ask the applicant to complete a Confidential Declaration Form and DBS check
Once appointed / approved there will be:
- An induction period during which safeguarding training will be completed along with familiarisation of other policies
- A probation period so that both the person and the church can see whether they are suited to the role. For paid roles, the person’s role should be confirmed in writing at the end of the probation period.
- Supervision and review is always required for paid roles, and is also good practice
in volunteer roles. The Confidential Declaration Form should be completed every
three years (or at least reviewed by the person and re-signed and dated if there is no
new information to declare). The DBS check should be renewed every five years